Alien Abuction as a phenomenon regurgitated ...

Pana

Alien Abuction as a phenomenon regurgitated ...

Post by Pana » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:24 am

as a consequence of absorbing popular culture.

I'm neutral on alien abduction. There are many people who say they have been abducted and some of these have been examined by at least one reputable psychiatrist under hypnosis (John Mack). Recalling events under hypnosis is in itself highly suggestible but one thing that I'm thinking of is whether not people's memories of being abducted are more actually influenced by popular media.

The reason why I am thinking of this is I stumbled upon a British TV series produced in '69 and '70 called "UFO". The premise of the show was that aliens could travel the intersellar space very quickly between their home planet and ours. They would abduct people to use their organs for some kind of transplants.

'69 and '70 were still quite early for alien shows and this content of abduction was quite avant garde for it's time. I'm kind of curious as to whether people have subsconsciously picked up on this kind of stuff from the popular media and it's somehow become twisted in the depths of their being so that they have 'memories' of this actually happening to them.

Thoughts?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

MrPenny

Re: Alien Abuction as a phenomenon regurgitated ...

Post by MrPenny » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:29 am

Your concept has been an integral part of my own thoughts on the matter for quite some time. The gist of it being that what is being described now is one and the same with elves, fairies, incubus, succubus, et al; only with modern experiences.

Mur

Post by Mur » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:42 am

MrPenny wrote:Your concept has been an integral part of my own thoughts on the matter for quite some time. The gist of it being that what is being described now is one and the same with elves, fairies, incubus, succubus, et al; only with modern experiences.
Bingo

There is some type of phenomena occurring I think....but I doubt it is aliens....either people are experiencing what they are predisposed to see, or the phenomena influences how we perceive it.

Mur

Post by Mur » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:44 am

BTW

http://www.ufo-themovie.com/UFO/Home.html

Yeah...it was a great show

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:53 am

My guess is that there is other awareness that we are not tuned into normally or sometimes or brains just create some very strange altered awareness from time to time.

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:04 am

I believe there is life we can't see, just like many animals cannot see the spectrum of color that we do.

Mur

Post by Mur » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:27 am

Pigeon wrote:My guess is that there is other awareness that we are not tuned into normally or sometimes or brains just create some very strange altered awareness from time to time.

I don't want to sound crazy....but the Ultra Terrestrial Hypothesis....could it be as simple as Angels and Demons?

MrPenny

Post by MrPenny » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:29 am

Or the other way around.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:30 am

Mur wrote:
Pigeon wrote:My guess is that there is other awareness that we are not tuned into normally or sometimes or brains just create some very strange altered awareness from time to time.

I don't want to sound crazy....but the Ultra Terrestrial Hypothesis....could it be as simple as Angels and Demons?
Which might take us back to what they really are. The unknown explained in terms of what people of the time think they know.

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:36 am

The problem is is that it's a purely semantic thing. It's like calling American Indians American Indians. They didn't think of themselves that way.