Ron Paul....It's Possible

Royal

Re: Ron Paul....It's Possible

Post by Royal » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:19 pm

For the first time, Fox news is placing Ron Paul as the front runner. HUGE DAY.

But Frank Kuntz is trying to place his success on his "attack ads".

So they are starting a poll on who's the "most negative candidate".

:biglol:

Mur

Post by Mur » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:33 am

What if Ron Paul wins in Iowa? - CNN.com
By John P. Avlon, CNN Contributor
2011-12-19T12:12:00Z CNN.com

What if Ron Paul wins in Iowa?

(CNN) -- The wild card in the Iowa caucus is Ron Paul, the libertarian congressman from Texas. As with all wild cards, his place in the top tier of candidates is itself unlikely and his ultimate effect on the Republican presidential nomination is unpredictable. But based on what I saw during my trip to Iowa earlier this month, no one should count Paul out.

His supporters are famously dedicated, and their numbers have only grown since his 2008 campaign. They are sometimes stereotyped as university students with a penchant for pot-legalization and political debate, but at a town hall in Marshalltown, Iowa, last Saturday morning, I saw a predominantly blue collar, middle-aged crowd listening raptly to Paul discuss his unified field theory of constitutionalism. Roughly 20 people from the crowd of 100 stuck around after the talk to organize for the caucus.
Organization matters in the Iowa caucus, and Paul's volunteers are going to show up in force. One of the great questions of this campaign is whether retail politics is dead -- after all, Rick Santorum is the only candidate who has visited all 99 counties in Iowa, and he's been stuck in the mid-single digits for most of the campaign.

Newt Gingrich's rise in the polls has been predicated upon his strong debate performances, but his front-runner status in Iowa has been achieved without a ground game to date (though his team is trying to catch up). Mitt Romney's efforts to buy love have so far been unsuccessful.

Paul's supporters, however, have the new confidence that comes from seeing their candidate's sometimes fringe views move into the mainstream of conservative debate. His negative fixation on the Fed has been vindicated in many peoples' minds, given the more than $7 trillion dollars that were piled into the banks to stop the slide of the Great Recession into a depression. I have seen Paul supporters at Occupy Wall Street protests bearing their End the Fed signs, making them one of the few points of direct contact between the Tea Party and Occupy movements.

Likewise, as the nation turns away from nearly a decade of foreign wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Paul's neo-isolationist skepticism about foreign entanglements has reached a new audience. He deserves great credit for being philosophically consistent on the issue, even during the Bush era when many conservatives were reluctant to criticize their administration's core foreign policy innovation. And many of his ideas helped animate the early days of the Tea Party protests.

There are plenty of problems with Paul as a general election candidate -- his noxious 9/11 views in particular (Paul essentially believes that U.S. foreign policy contributed to provoking the attacks). He is 76 years old. And he is proposing $1 trillion in cuts in the first year of his administration.

But in a Republican primary field disproportionately dominated by self-promoters, Paul has always been running to promote ideas.

That is part of a noble tradition and an effort that is to be respected.

The key question of his wild-card status is whether he can pull off an upset in the Iowa caucus. Remember that Paul has never led in the Iowa polls outright, even as curious flash in the pan candidates Michele Bachmann and Herman Cain have. But his support has been steadily growing in the right direction. And caucuses are high-intensity, low-turnout elections.

Right now, Newt Gingrich has been in the lead for a month in Iowa, and his numbers are showing some softening, aided by a barrage of negative ads deployed by the Romney campaign and other rivals, including Paul.

But if Paul can pull off an Iowa upset on January 3, it will shock the political world and push Gingrich off the top-tier media narrative. The campaign then quickly turns to New Hampshire, where Romney -- the former governor of neighbor state Massachusetts -- has long held a double-digit lead. If Gingrich wins Iowa, he could compete credibly in New Hampshire and then carry his campaign to victories in South Carolina and Florida, where he holds convincing leads in the polls.

If the Paulites shock the world in Iowa, the libertarians in the Live Free or Die State would likely give Paul a boost there as well. The point is not that this could propel Paul to the nomination, but it would solidify his status as a significant player at the Republican Convention and serve as a huge boost to the often-faltering Romney campaign by denying Gingrich an early victory.

So keep your eyes on the Ron Paul scenario in Iowa. It's admittedly a long shot, but far from unlikely. You don't have to agree with Paul, but after a career of quixotic stands, he's earned the right to be taken seriously in his final campaign.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of John Avlon.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/19/opinion/a ... hpt=hp_bn9
Last edited by Mur on Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:39 pm

When the spot lights finally focus on ol' Ron and he starts to yammer his nonsense about Ludwig Von Mises and the Austrian School he'll falll off the cliff in a heartbeat. The truth is that as good as he is with his anti-war schtick his economics are ludicrously reactionary. He can't seem to remember that this is the 21st century, not the 18th. No religious zealotry concerning magical metals is gonna save the Empire. Any abstract concerning the decline and fall of Leviathan is better served by a study of Pax Romana than by a critique ex nihilo currency.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Mur

Post by Mur » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:22 pm

We'll see

He is the only one that has a chance to beat Obummer

Egg

Post by Egg » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Interesting to bring up Rome. They kept the empire from crumbling more than once by forgiving all debts. Pretty much every country whose currency was fiat did the same thing before capitalism came along.

Royal

Post by Royal » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:07 pm

I watched Good Morning America today (don't ask why) and they stated it's a dead heat between Romney and Grinch. They mentioned all candidates except Ron Paul and didn't even show his face.

This is some hard core propagandismz.

Egg

Post by Egg » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Royal wrote:I watched Good Morning America today (don't ask why) and they stated it's a dead heat between Romney and Grinch. They mentioned all candidates except Ron Paul and didn't even show his face.

Well, he's not a real Republican and doesn't play ball with corporations. Now, you see why the other ones do.

Royal

Post by Royal » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Egg wrote:
Royal wrote:I watched Good Morning America today (don't ask why) and they stated it's a dead heat between Romney and Grinch. They mentioned all candidates except Ron Paul and didn't even show his face.

Well, he's not a real Republican and doesn't play ball with corporations. Now, you see why the other ones do.
It's one thing to distort the facts, and it's another to outright lie on a mass scale. I should be comfortable with this after watching the War on Terror propaganda play out for the past 11 years, but I'm not. At least they look like they are guilty for not talking about it. Just look at the expression of a person talking about politics on the news that was probably forced not to mention Ron Paul. It has the whole "elephant in the room" vibe.

This will have more Americans questioning the integrity of news and joining the Ron Paul campaign. It's interesting to watch this play out- we get to see the reach of the tentacles.

IndicusMaximus

Post by IndicusMaximus » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:05 pm

Just stop paying attention to it. Everything on TV is propaganda. If you can't watch it without being relatively unaffected by it, you shouldn't watch it because you obviously don't understand at your very core that it IS propaganda. None of that shit that's on TV is real. None of this shit that supposedly operates our "highly efficient" modern society is real. None of the values hammered into us through years and years of follow the leader and traumatization as our dreams are destroyed in favor of the illusion of survival are real. Okay? This is not an intellectual debate. The truth is concrete, and we're all headed towards a brick wall, and fast. Whether or not you're using the little pedals they provide you in order to feel like you're a real contributor to "society" means nothing, because the momentum alone generated from this suicide ride is already enough to completely obliterate itself against a dead end.

There's no more use in debating about it. It's fucking over. Good riddance to all of it.

This is why I barely comment on anything anymore.... because it's all fucking noise to me now.

look at this..... 66 pages of fucking noise.

Really seriously consider how much of your words and actions are still not your own.... and if you consider yourself enlightened, think again... or stop thinking.... stop talking..... just shut up, because mostly... I just want to punch all of you in the face. Everyone. If I had enough fists, I would punch everyone in the world in the face a good hard thrice in a row, so everyone collectively stumbled backward at once and shut up for a minute.... having to recover from the shock of this abrupt and painful interruption. Maybe then, people would stop making so much fucking noise. We're the noisiest fucking animals on the planet. All this noise about absolutely nothing that matters...
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will see God.

Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehovah.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:08 pm

Whether or not you're using the little pedals they provide you in order to feel like you're a real contributor to "society"
I really like statement, Indie. It seems so logical and real.