Swearing can help relieve pain, study claims

Pam
Princess Feet

Swearing can help relieve pain, study claims

Post by Pam » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:13 pm

I can't fucking believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scientists from Keele University found that letting forth a volley of foul language can have a powerful painkilling effect, especially for people who do not normally use expletives.

To test the theory, student volunteers placed their hands in a bucket of ice cold water while swearing repeatedly.

They then repeated the exercise but, instead of swearing, used a harmless phrase instead.

Researchers found that the students were able to keep their hands submerged in the icy water for longer when repeating the swear word - establishing a link between swearing and an increase in pain tolerance.

They also found that the pain-numbing effect was four times more likely to work in the volunteers who did not normally use bad language.

The team believes the pain-lessening effect occurs because swearing triggers the ''fight or flight'' response.
Read more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/8458 ... laims.html

Egg

Re: Swearing can help relieve pain, study claims

Post by Egg » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:19 pm

I fucking knew it. No wonder I've been able to treat my body so fucking harshly and still stay in fucking shit sexy health.

Good fucking post, Pam.

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Hahahahahahaha ..... as an experiment, I plan to fucking swear my fucking head off all fucking day long and see where it fucking gets me :D

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:26 pm

Hahaha, women who have given birth can attest to this. I heard some astonishing language from other rooms the times I gave birth myself. I think I let out a few bad words myself, if I'm not mistaken...

;)

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:31 pm

TraumaT wrote:Hahaha, women who have given birth can attest to this. I heard some astonishing language from other rooms the times I gave birth myself. I think I let out a few bad words myself, if I'm not mistaken...

;)
That's true TT, it has been a while, I forgot about that ;)

I think I may have slipped a few words out myself. I do remember taking my glasses off and the nurse trying to position a mirror for me to see, I kept telling her to leave me alone, I could not see anything happily.

She then noticed my glasses and started to put them on me so I could see, I recall telling her in not so nice words "to get the fuck away from me, I did not want to see, I have a weak stomach for that kind of thing"

Egg

Post by Egg » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:33 pm

HAHAHAAAAHAAHHAHAAHHAAA!!! Awesome. :D

Set

Post by Set » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:30 am

Pam wrote:I can't fucking believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scientists from Keele University found that letting forth a volley of foul language can have a powerful painkilling effect, especially for people who do not normally use expletives.

To test the theory, student volunteers placed their hands in a bucket of ice cold water while swearing repeatedly.

They then repeated the exercise but, instead of swearing, used a harmless phrase instead.

Researchers found that the students were able to keep their hands submerged in the icy water for longer when repeating the swear word - establishing a link between swearing and an increase in pain tolerance.

They also found that the pain-numbing effect was four times more likely to work in the volunteers who did not normally use bad language.

The team believes the pain-lessening effect occurs because swearing triggers the ''fight or flight'' response.
I resent the everyday language of my Anglo-Celtic ancestors being described as "foul." And point out that at the moment of the greatest pleasure a human can experience i.e., cuming, it is extremely common for both sexes to have to revert to their Anglo-Saxon-Celtic roots* to be able to adequately describe their ecstasy.

*Australian for "fuck"
"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong". ---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

Set

Post by Set » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:04 am

Set wrote:
Pam wrote:I can't fucking believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I resent the everyday language of my Anglo-Celtic ancestors being described as "foul." And point out that at the moment of the greatest pleasure a human can experience i.e., cuming,it is extremely common for both sexes to have to revert to their Anglo-Saxon-Celtic root[/b]s* to be able to adequately describe their ecstasy.[/b]

*Australian for "fuck"
Example: ever heard a woman, even a fanatically Christian woman, cry "Oooohh, coitus me senseless!!" when she was cuming??
"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong". ---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:29 am

Set wrote:
Example: ever heard a woman, even a fanatically Christian woman, cry "Oooohh, coitus me senseless!!" when she was cuming??
Hey, some of us are just more literate than others!

:mrgreen:

Set

Post by Set » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:56 am

TraumaT wrote:
Set wrote:
Hey, some of us are just more literate than others!

:mrgreen:
Just jokin,' TT. Everyone knows every woman cries "Oooohh, make love me senseless" when she is orgasming. ;)