Those moments - football

Pigeon

Those moments - football

Post by Pigeon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:00 pm

The Chargers had plenty of chances to build a lead but couldn't take advantage. Officials wiped out a TD pass to Eddie Royal for offensive pass interference on Keenan Allen, starting for Floyd.

Then Rivers tried too hard to plead his case with an official who flagged the quarterback for unsportsmanlike conduct, giving the Chargers first-and-goal at the Titans 30. Rivers said he didn't say anything out of line but that was no excuse for drawing a penalty.

"They did take a touchdown off the board there," Rivers said. "I haven't seen the replay to know if it was the right call or not. Obviously, that's why I was so upset. That was a big play in the game when a touchdown gets called back."

So Rivers goes wild arguing the case of bad call yet didn't see what was called. A duh moment...

Pigeon

Re: Those moments - football

Post by Pigeon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Texans

I think these players have some mental issue. Despite skill, they get beat. Give up a interception and a return for TDs in less then 2 minutes? One minute they look great then the next look terrible.

At 2-1. Given the next 2 games, they should be 2-3, or with luck, 3-2.

Royal

Post by Royal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:30 pm

Pigeon wrote:

The Chargers had plenty of chances to build a lead but couldn't take advantage. Officials wiped out a TD pass to Eddie Royal for offensive pass interference on Keenan Allen, starting for Floyd.

Then Rivers tried too hard to plead his case with an official who flagged the quarterback for unsportsmanlike conduct, giving the Chargers first-and-goal at the Titans 30. Rivers said he didn't say anything out of line but that was no excuse for drawing a penalty.

"They did take a touchdown off the board there," Rivers said. "I haven't seen the replay to know if it was the right call or not. Obviously, that's why I was so upset. That was a big play in the game when a touchdown gets called back."

So Rivers goes wild arguing the case of bad call yet didn't see what was called. A duh moment...
Glad you are noticing these things. So many fans have this weird amnesia about football, and don't consider other forces at work.
The last play where Tennessee scores the game winning touchdown is suspect. Looks like offensive pass interference, not called, and the defender tries to stop the catch by hitting the ball BEHIND his head which would not be effective.

Check out this other brute force attack:
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Geno Smith threw two touchdown passes, including a go-ahead 69-yarder to Santonio Holmes in the fourth quarter, and the New York Jets overcame a team-record 20 penalties to hang on and beat the Buffalo Bills 27-20 in an ugly game Sunday.

Royal

Post by Royal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Texans

I think these players have some mental issue. Despite skill, they get beat. Give up a interception and a return for TDs in less then 2 minutes? One minute they look great then the next look terrible.

At 2-1. Given the next 2 games, they should be 2-3, or with luck, 3-2.
As theorized, it was their "investment" game. I picked Baltimore that week. Or does Ray Lewis carry that much motivational energy?

Other games worth noting:

CAR 38
NYG 0

IND 27
SF 7

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:43 pm

20 penalties and still a win. Something wrong there. Last week the Jets got the game given to them on a penalty. (Was a real penalty).

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:47 pm

You can bet SF will play well against Houston.

The NFL schedule is weighted for the previous years records. It's no even a level field like most other sports.

Royal

Post by Royal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Pigeon wrote:20 penalties and still a win. Something wrong there. Last week the Jets got the game given to them on a penalty. (Was a real penalty).
If the league and fans are upset about it, I would take that as a precursor to them losing next week.

Royal

Post by Royal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Pigeon wrote:You can bet SF will play well against Houston.

The NFL schedule is weighted for the previous years records. It's no even a level field like most other sports.
I agree with it. I prefer the Dallas Cowboys, SF 49'ers, or other teams NOT going to the Superbowl every year like the Yankees in the World Series..

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:32 pm

True, something has to counter the teams with the most money to buy players.

Dallas has been out of it for years. Replace Romo and get another chance. Nice to see the Ravens win last years.

Royal

Post by Royal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Ray Lewis was exciting to watch.

Not many players have that tenacity or drive anymore... what happened?

I expect Romo to have a bad day against San Diego in week 4.