Pigeon

Re: 1972

Post by Pigeon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:51 pm

I don't see a big benefit in having a discussion between two people turn into a name calling, degrading word fill exchange.

The reason being that those emotions cloud the situation. Instead of understanding the person's view, emotions are pushing the thoughts to have to continue the battle, a constant defense mode. Isn't that what we see much of the time in the world.

Look at US politics. Much of the time, any idea is crap because it came from the other party. The idea must be worthless.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:02 pm

Just the thought that what it is today might be close to what it will be. Just random chat and people pushing each other because it is a place where it can be done. People looking for information will search it out else where. It's niche becomes the 'endless food fight' because it can. People looking to cut up have to find a place for it; it is one of those.

That's fine but it will be for people who want 95% of their time in that atmosphere. I think many of us can live it for periods of time but also seek more.
While it's true Amkon is that it has also been much more. There are some truly erudite and incisive peanuts in the turd. But by and large those are greeted with a yawn, a duh and an apathetic meh. That's just the nature of the place. One of the longest running and most populated threads there is called, "Hands up if you like boobs." That's a statement in itself. And now a member has seen fit to create an equally profound thread called, "Hands up if you like dick." With any luck those sorts of tripe will never occur here.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Community is more than just a bunch of people in one place. ;)

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:18 pm

If a person wants to investigate that type of material there are better place on the web to do it. Go find the best stuff. :)

I will in the near future participate in some of your new philo threads. Should be interesting.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:19 pm

Egg wrote:Community is more than just a bunch of people in one place. ;)
There was more in the origin of community; not as much now.

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:19 pm

Pigeon wrote:If a person wants to investigate that type of material there are better place on the web to do it. Go find the best stuff. :)

I will in the near future participate in some of your new philo threads. Should be interesting.
Hahahahahaahahahaha!!!!

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Pigeon wrote:
Egg wrote:Community is more than just a bunch of people in one place. ;)
There was more in the origin of community; not as much now.
The overwhelming threat to Anarchy is the possibility of its descent into chaos. In fact they are mutually exclusive principles often conflated as the identical paradigms. But such is life.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:37 pm

lkwalker wrote: The overwhelming threat to Anarchy is the possibility of its descent into chaos. In fact they are mutually exclusive principles often conflated as the identical paradigms. But such is life.
I agree. Chaos is overrated by those who think they can survive. They might try a few places on Earth closer to that state first, a test drive.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:48 pm

The confusion arises from mistaking Anarchism with Nihilism as romantic attitudes. I had many discussions on that very issue with Pack over at Amkon. He styled himself as both a Nihilist and an Anarchist but the two approaches can not possibly live in the same heart. Nihilsm is by its very nature a flight of abject conceit. it is a denial of the worth of the 'the other' in favor of unilateral destruction whereas Anarchism is the elevation of 'the other' in the establishment of creative commune.

MrPenny

Post by MrPenny » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Yeah....they could start in my basement. I got a high level of entropy goin' on there.