Resident Contrarian

Re: Karma

Post by 1972 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Egg wrote:A lot of people fall asleep at the beginning. You need to build up a tolerance. The other thing is, most people get into it waiting for something to happen. It's kinda antithetical to what it's all about. ;) I did the same thing. Think of it as pitching Seinfeld to tv execs. "It's about nothing." "Nothing?" "Nothing."
Got it.

Bubble Boy.
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope." ~ P.J. O'Rourke

"God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance." ~ M. Twain

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:48 pm

1972 wrote:
Egg wrote:A lot of people fall asleep at the beginning. You need to build up a tolerance. The other thing is, most people get into it waiting for something to happen. It's kinda antithetical to what it's all about. ;) I did the same thing. Think of it as pitching Seinfeld to tv execs. "It's about nothing." "Nothing?" "Nothing."
Got it.

Bubble Boy.
Mmmmmmm..... bubbles....

Lesson 72, bressed sirence.

If you can name that movie, I'll give you a case of rice pudding.

MrPenny

Post by MrPenny » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:00 pm

I love rice pudding.

An alternative to focusing on a single, exclusive thought, is to try and expand your awareness to a hyper level. In other words, feel the breeze on your face while noting the beating of your heart, the buzz of the fly on the sill, the kid bouncing a basketball on the next block, the train blowing its horn down at the crossing, etc.....

The exercise in hyper-awareness I find useful as well.

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:08 pm

MrPenny wrote:I love rice pudding.

An alternative to focusing on a single, exclusive thought, is to try and expand your awareness to a hyper level. In other words, feel the breeze on your face while noting the beating of your heart, the buzz of the fly on the sill, the kid bouncing a basketball on the next block, the train blowing its horn down at the crossing, etc.....

The exercise in hyper-awareness I find useful as well.
They call that Za zen, right? Yeah, there's a bunch of different methods and some people click better with one method than another. I seem to do best with breathing. I've tried different ways over the years - fast, deep, slow, watching the breath here or there. I go for a long breath now (breathe into your diaphragm at a comfortable pace. That's really it. I find the simpler the better.

Resident Contrarian

Post by 1972 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Egg wrote:
1972 wrote:
Got it.

Bubble Boy.
Mmmmmmm..... bubbles....

Sounds like something out of Remo Williams but I have no idea.
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope." ~ P.J. O'Rourke

"God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance." ~ M. Twain

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:35 pm

1972 wrote:
Egg wrote:
1972 wrote:
Got it.

Bubble Boy.
Mmmmmmm..... bubbles....

Sounds like something out of Remo Williams but I have no idea.
I am impressed, 72. Most impressed. Your rice pudding is on the way. It might take awhile, I'm using the US postal system.

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:00 am

Every time I try it I turn into a sea captain or a U-boat commander.
Credo quia absurdum.

Egg

Post by Egg » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:03 am

Dr Exile wrote:Every time I try it I turn into a sea captain or a U-boat commander.

ARRRRRRR!!!! You be seeing with your one good eye.

MrPenny

Post by MrPenny » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:32 am

Flood tubes 1, 2, and 3....prepare firing solution......

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:42 pm

Egg wrote:Does karma exist? I don't know. I do know that for every physical action there is a consequence. Punch someone and a shock will move through your body. That said, this is the best explanation of Karma I've ever read.

blahblahblah...and so forth
Didn't we all memorize Newton's Third Law in high school?- "Lex III: Actioni contrariam semper et équalem esse reactionem." And isn't that the essential meaning of karma? I recall writing a brief thesis as a graduate student in Philosophy relating The Third to Jesus' principle of offering the other cheek as a prescription for bringing about the end to circuitous action. As in Ethics, so in Physics averred I.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi