I'd rather be....

Kat

I'd rather be....

Post by Kat » Mon May 09, 2011 6:48 am

Putting aside the obscene nature of the U.N. composite measures that find in favor of a couple of Scandinavian countries, which is the best nation in the world in which to live a happy, relaxed, fulfilled, achieving life for 40 years or more, starting today?

And why?
If I could get any animal it would be a dolphin. I want one bad. Me and my mom went swimming with dolphins. I was like, 'How do we get one of those?' and she was like, 'You can't get a dolphin. What are you gonna do, put it in your pool?' Miley Cyrus

IndicusMaximus

Re: I'd rather be....

Post by IndicusMaximus » Mon May 09, 2011 8:56 am

New Zealand.... because God says so.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will see God.

Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehovah.

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon May 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Iceland - small population, stood up to the banks, scions of Vikings, they like NYers, the stop for fairies - the mythical kind - yes, I am serious.

Morocco - pre 9/11. Truly - just a feeling. Always wanted to go to Morocco.

Hmmmmmmmm..... must think more.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Mon May 09, 2011 4:20 pm

jamaica
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon May 09, 2011 4:23 pm

I'd like to check out the Virgin Islands.

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Mon May 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Oslo.

Oh, wait....

SweetGrass

Post by SweetGrass » Mon May 09, 2011 4:35 pm

Well, the U.N. bases their findings on average life expectancy, infant mortality rate, literacy rate and GDP. I agree that a country can be rated best or worst based on those things.
After Iceland, the next nine best places to live are: Norway, Australia, Canada, Ireland, Sweden, Switzerland, Japan, the Netherlands, and France. The United States came in 12th, a drop from eighth place in 2006.
This was written before the earthquake in Japan, of course.

Weather is an important factor for me, personally. Also, language spoken. I know this is silly, but I have this big fear of being lost or in trouble in a place where English isn't the first language and the signs aren't in English. I've actually had a couple nightmares about it. With that being said, I'd have to pick Australia or Canada, specifically Victoria, Australia and BC, Canada for the less extreme weather. I don't like snow or hot weather, lol.
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Mon May 09, 2011 5:19 pm

That's way too contemplative for our tastes. But i'll just add- in BC you gotta put up with Canucks and in Oz you gotta put up with Ockers. Jamaica here I come.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Mon May 09, 2011 5:32 pm

Chiang Mai of the Lanna Kingdom.
Credo quia absurdum.

SweetGrass

Post by SweetGrass » Mon May 09, 2011 5:37 pm

lkwalker wrote:That's way too contemplative for our tastes. But i'll just add- in BC you gotta put up with Canucks and in Oz you gotta put up with Ockers. Jamaica here I come.
I've never met a Canuck I didn't like though.

Vancouver is a lot like San Francisco & Portland (where I have spent most of my life) in a lot of ways. I guess, I'd just want to live in a place like home, but where I won't put myself into thousands of dollars of debt to get my friggin' teeth fixed or to fix this problem I've been having with my ear. Plus, I'd be able to visit Pam. :D
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter