Samsung Blu Ray reboot strange loop

Pigeon

Samsung Blu Ray reboot strange loop

Post by Pigeon » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:25 am

Samsung Blu Ray players have gone into a reboot on June 19.

Something similar was predicted in 2012

Samsung televisions and Blu-Ray players can be spun into continuous restart loops by deviants taking advantage of a remote control feature.

The devices could be made to restart every five seconds by setting fields such as MAC addresses to long strings.

This would trigger the crashing loop, which occurred too rapidly for hapless victims to intervene using their remote controllers.

Almost seems like a date related issue. Some Programmer left something behind in code, just in case.

Pigeon

Re: Samsung Blu Ray reboot strange loop

Post by Pigeon » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:52 pm

It was speculated by netizens and some media reports that a HTTPS certificate error was to blame. However, it's been suggested to The Register that the cause of the failure was an XML file downloaded by the network-connected devices from Samsung servers during periodic logging policy checks.

This file, when fetched and saved to the device's flash storage and processed by the equipment, crashed the system software and force a reboot. Upon reboot, the player parsed the XML file again from its flash storage, crashed and rebooted again. And so on, and so on, and so on. Crucially, the XML file would be parsed before a new one could be fetched from the internet, so once the bad configuration file was fetched and stored by these particular Samsung Blu-ray players in the field, they were bricked.

Link

Pigeon

Re: Samsung Blu Ray reboot strange loop

Post by Pigeon » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:58 pm

<?xml version="1.0"?> <Policy>

<period val="2020-06-18T17:00:01"/> <server type="operating"/>
<list/>

</Policy>

Hi I am bdpprog

I do not like empty list elements in an XML file

Watch me reboot