Forbes Predicts Return To Gold Standard

IndicusMaximus

Re: Forbes Predicts Return To Gold Standard

Post by IndicusMaximus » Thu May 12, 2011 3:16 am

lkwalker wrote:Doesn't it seem a little nuts to base wealth on some shiny shit you dig up outa the ground? Or am I missing something?
Now that I've figured out the shiny thing I found was not edible, I think continuing your explanation of EVIL would be an appropriate discussion to get back to.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will see God.

Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehovah.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Thu May 12, 2011 3:22 am

Well- I guess the shiny shit is a decent point of departure- at least in terms of the moral aspect of ethics... which seems to be where the discussion of good and evil inevitably devolves in any case. Didn't the great rebbe say that a rich man has the same chance of entering the gate to the kingdom as a camel has of passing through the eye of a needle? There's the real value of gold, no?
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu May 12, 2011 3:25 am

lkwalker wrote:Well- I guess the shiny shit is a decent point of departure- at least in terms of the moral aspect of ethics... which seems to be where the discussion of good and evil inevitably devolves in any case. Didn't the great rebbe say that a rich man has the same chance of entering the gate to the kingdom as a camel has of passing through the eye of a needle? There's the real value of gold, no?
Well, if you want to turn this into an ethics debate - sure. But, here's the thing, we suck. I have truly come to that conclusion. Oh sure, there are some good people out there but we suck.

So, many aren't going to be willing to share a thing. know what I mean?

Escape_Artist

Post by Escape_Artist » Thu May 12, 2011 3:26 am

lkwalker wrote:Well- I guess the shiny shit is a decent point of departure- at least in terms of the moral aspect of ethics... which seems to be where the discussion inevitably devolves in any case. Didn't the great rebbe say that a rich man has the same chance of entering the gate to the kingdom as a camel has of passing through the eye of a needle? There's the real value of gold, no?

I agree, kinda, So what is a "non decayable commodity" that money could be based on?.... very very hard question.... I have no idea
Me gusta Capitalismo Anarquista!

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Thu May 12, 2011 3:29 am

The most valuable elements on the planet are already shared. And they are not scarce but rather the most abundant. Oxygen and water. So whoever said that true value derives from scarcity is either a liar or a fool.

IndicusMaximus

Post by IndicusMaximus » Thu May 12, 2011 3:34 am

The first shall be last and the last shall be first.

EDIT:

So yeah no just let those who believe the sheen of things have their way, I guess.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will see God.

Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehovah.

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu May 12, 2011 3:35 am

lkwalker wrote:The most valuable elements on the planet are already shared. And they are not scarce but rather the most abundant. Oxygen and water. So whoever said that true value derives from scarcity is either a liar or a fool.
Scarcity is indeed a con game but I believe the people want to be conned. It gives meaning to the nothingness. Follow?

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Thu May 12, 2011 3:37 am

IndicusMaximus wrote:The first shall be last and the last shall be first.

EDIT:

So yeah no just let those who believe the sheen of things have their way, I guess.
True. If we were to base or interactions on The Beatitudes the problem solves itself.

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu May 12, 2011 3:41 am

Egg wrote:
lkwalker wrote:The most valuable elements on the planet are already shared. And they are not scarce but rather the most abundant. Oxygen and water. So whoever said that true value derives from scarcity is either a liar or a fool.
Scarcity is indeed a con game but I believe the people want to be conned. It gives meaning to the nothingness. Follow?
Thoughts?

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Thu May 12, 2011 3:44 am

I do follow. Kierkegaard said, "Boredom is the root of evil." And what are games but a means to fill the void between birth and death?