This is what prison should be

Pana

Re: This is what prison should be

Post by Pana » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:01 am

I'm against capital punishment except in one particular type of crime:

Repeat paedophile offenders who mutilate, rape, torture and/or kill

First time - okay, do rehab, do chem therapy
Second time - I'll give you that
Third time - Fuck this. You've had your chances. Who's protecting the kids?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Egg

Post by Egg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:04 am

Pana wrote:I'm against capital punishment except in one particular type of crime:

Repeat paedophile offenders who mutilate, rape, torture and/or kill

First time - okay, do rehab, do chem therapy
Second time - I'll give you that
Third time - Fuck this. You've had your chances. Who's protecting the kids?
Like I said, I understand the feeling of killing someone who "deserves" to be killed. I just don't trust the justice system enough to not kill some who doesn't deserve it.

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:08 am

Lock em up for life, and if they molested a child, cut off their penis!

Pana

Post by Pana » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:03 am

I'm talking about the ones who are totally confirmed to have done it. The really vicious ones that mutilate and torture.

Like this guy:

BOISE (AP) — A longtime sex offender was sentenced to death Wednesday for the 2005 kidnapping, torture and murder of a 9-year-old northern Idaho boy after federal jurors who watched video of some of the brutality deliberated just three hours.

The jurors' recommendation was binding on U.S. District Judge Edward Lodge, who thanked them, dismissed them and then sentenced Joseph Edward Duncan III.

Relatives of the victim, Dylan Groene, remained somber as the jury's decision was announced. Duncan murdered Dylan's mother, older brother and his mother's fiance to kidnap him and his younger sister, who was sexually abused along with her brother but survived.

"The jury speaks the mind of the community," U.S. Attorney Tom Moss said. "By the verdict today, they have given voice to the victims."

Duncan showed no reaction other than smiling as the verdict was passed to the judge.

He took Dylan and the boy's then-8-year-old sister, Shasta, to a remote western Montana campsite where he raped, tortured and threatened them before shooting Dylan in the head and burning his body. Jurors viewed horrifying video Duncan made of him sexually abusing, torturing and hanging Dylan until the boy lost consciousness.

"This defendant is dangerous. He is a predator who takes pride in his work," prosecutor Traci Whelan said. "He earned this day. His actions ... call out for the death penalty."

Duncan acted as his own attorney but had offered no response to prosecutors' closing argument.

"I have no argument," he told the court.

With an eye toward kidnapping the two children, Duncan stalked their family. In 2005 he entered their Coeur d'Alene-area home and used a hammer to fatally bludgeon their 13-year-old brother, Slade Groene, his mother, Brenda Groene, and her fiance, Mark McKenzie.

Duncan was arrested and Shasta rescued weeks after the kidnappings when a waitress at a Denny's in Coeur d'Alene called police after recognizing the two as they ate.

Duncan pleaded guilty in December to 10 federal charges involving the kidnappings and the murder of Dylan. He pleaded guilty to the other three murders in state court, where he also could be sentenced to death.

"I am so glad this is over. Justice has been served," said Darlene Torres, Brenda Groene's mother. "It's been very painful."

She said that when she saw Duncan in court, "I seen nothing but an evil, empty, coldhearted shell."

In closing arguments, Whelan reminded the jury of Duncan's lifelong "pattern of violence," including a conviction for raping a boy at gunpoint in 1980. Whelan told the jury that Duncan would pose a risk even to prison guards and fellow inmates.

Duncan has told investigators he killed two half-sisters from Seattle in 1996, and he is charged with killing a young boy in Riverside County, California, in 1997.

Duncan may now be brought to Riverside County to stand trial in the death of Anthony Martinez."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... rder_N.htm

THis guy was a repeat offender.
I'll give them the benefit of those first two (even though it means additional harm to innocent kids) as opportunities to use the resources available to rehab themselves. If they make use of the opportunity - great, so much the better. If not and the third time they are caught, beyond a doubt, terminate them. On this one, I'm on Team Kid.

-Albert Camus

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:17 am

I remember that when it happened :(

So sad... that little girls life is ruined after all she went through and what she witnessed.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:56 am

Oh my how we revel in being holier than thee! And it's so much easier than thinking too!
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Pana

Post by Pana » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:19 pm

lkwalker wrote:Oh my how we revel in being holier than thee! And it's so much easier than thinking too!
Let the thinkers and philosophers hide behind their ethics and morals safely in their houses.

I'd rather get down and dirty and protect the innocents from the amoral and unethical sociopaths that freely roam the paths of life harming children.

-Albert Camus

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:28 pm

Thinkers are subject to the same slings and arrows and mean streets as the lambs. Just saying...

Pana

Post by Pana » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:38 pm

lkwalker wrote:Thinkers are subject to the same slings and arrows and mean streets as the lambs. Just saying...

That's okay, BE. I'd take an arrow for you any day.

-Albert Camus

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:44 pm

And I'd do the same for you.